Cloud computing is one of the fastest-growing technologies that have widespread at an extensive level. As per the reports of International Data Group, 69% of business organizations are already using cloud computing major players while 18% say they are soon planning to implement it.
Since various businesses of different verticals are embracing cloud prowess to run their day to day operations, it has helped companies to generate billions of dollars revenue. Moreover, cloud computing has given a rise to thousands of job opportunities in the IT sector.
If you also want to leverage this opportunity to build a steady career in IT, then you should first determine the dominant players in cloud computing and thereafter choose the best for your career growth.
A Beginner’s guide to Cloud Computing
In simple terms, cloud computing refers to the delivery of computing services including networking, databases, software, messaging, processing, memory, storage, servers, intelligence and analytics over the internet once you pay for it.
Cloud provides flexible resources that helps to accelerate innovation and economies of scale. The fundamental advantage of using cloud computing is that it enables one to share & store data in the cloud which can be accessed from anywhere in the world using internet.
Types of cloud deployment models:
- Public Cloud: This cloud model supports all users who want to make a use of computing resource such as memory, storage, application server on a subscription basis.
- Private Cloud: This cloud infrastructure is used by a single organization on a private internal network only for a selected group of users.
- Hybrid Cloud: This computing model connects private and public cloud into a single infrastructure.
- Community Cloud: As its name suggests, this cloud model support various organizations sharing computing resources that are a part of one community.
The popularity of cloud computing is pacing up with an increase in the remote working environment. Earlier Forbes predicted that in 2020, 41% of enterprise and mission-critical workload shall be public-cloud based while another 20% will run on a private-cloud platform and nearly 22% will rely on the hybrid cloud.
Nowadays, many organizations ranging from startups to MNC’s are migrating to cloud services to scale up their businesses. The jump in the demand of cloud computing has fueled the battle between the top cloud players.
Major Players in Cloud Computing
Mainly, the battle for cloud dominance is fierce amongst 4 major players i.e., AWS, Microsoft Azure, Oracle Cloud and Google Cloud. Let’s put a light upon the features and advantages of each of these cloud giants to have a better understanding of what each environment is offering in terms of the scope of work and pay scale.
Amazon Web Services-AWS
AWS is a secure cloud computing platform that help developers to build sophisticated applications with scalability & flexibility. It was launched in 2006 from the internal infrastructure of Amazon to efficiently manage its retail operations. Amazon was one of the first companies to set up a pay as you go cloud computing model.
AWS is broadly adopted by large businesses as it offers 175 fully featured cloud services from database storage to CDN, machine learning, and computing power that help them become more agile and innovate faster. It is a cost-effective platform and holds the first position in public cloud adoption.
Benefits of using AWS
- User-Friendly– Amazon Web Services is easy to use and provides access to a wide variety of applications. It meets different needs such as Hadoop Cluster or Content Delivery Network.
- Unlimited Capacity– Around 560,000 hard drives fail each month in the U.S due to limited storage issues, but AWS fixes this problem by providing unlimited server capacity. It currently powers thousands of global businesses.
- Security– AWS provides a reliable encryption & security measure that guarantees to keep your data safe & secure.
- Innovation- AWS may face competition when it comes to pricing, but no other cloud service provider can beat Amazon Web Services in terms of innovation.
Why Learn AWS?
Amazon Web Services continues to rule and sustain top position in the major players of cloud computing . Indeed claims that the market share of AWS is expected to increase upto $236B by the end of 2020 at a CAGR of 22%. It will create more than 380,000 cloud computing jobs. You can secure a credible job by enrolling in AWS certification.
Azure is a public cloud computing platform launched by Microsoft in 2010. It provides a wide range of specialized services for analytics, big data, virtual computing, mobile application development, games, DevOps- agile development pipelines, data warehousing, storage and much more.
Microsoft Azure has served more regions globally as compared to any other cloud provider. It is currently available in more than 60 geographical regions and 140 countries. Azure has hybrid cloud features such as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS), and Platform as a Service (PaaS). This enormous network of infrastructure is used by a majority of Fortune 500 companies.
Since more businesses are shifting to Microsoft Azure, the demand for skilled cloud professionals is going to inflate. Presently, there is a scarcity of Azure talent to fill the increasing positions in the market. Companies are competing to land the best batch of candidates by providing high wages and additional perks.
Some significant facts about Azure
- Microsoft affirms that around 1,000 new customers sign up to Azure on a daily basis. Thus, approximately 365,000 new companies adopt Microsoft Azure each year.
- The commercial cloud revenue of Microsoft has increased by 62% with an expected annual run rate between $11.85 billion and $12.05 billion in revenue.
- So far 95% of Fortune 500 companies are using MS Azure.
- Microsoft Azure has received official accreditation from the government of UK. Moreover, the Azure Government offering is also backed by the US Government.
Top reasons to get Microsoft Azure Certification
In recent years, the job opportunities for Azure professionals have doubled in numbers owing to its growing demand. Let’s have a look at some of the advantages of learning Azure:
- Versatile and Secure Career Options-Microsoft Azure certification plays an essential role when pursuing a career in cloud computing. It provides flexibility to choose among various career options and helps to secure credible positions such as cloud developer, administrator, AI engineer, solutions architect, security engineer, DevOps engineer, and data engineer.
- Gateway to different Industries- With the growing rate of businesses shifting their workloads to cloud computing, you get a chance to work in distinct fields. If you are an Azure certified professional, then you can manage, develop, and implement cloud services in industries of IT, healthcare, finance, retail, banking, insurance, or marketing.
- Higher salaries– One of the biggest reasons to acquire Microsoft Azure certification is the attainability of higher salary packages and better job opportunities. According to the reports of ZipRecruiter, the average annual salary of an Azure Developer is $131,838 per while an Azure Architect earns around $144,866 per year. The salaries increase to $174,000 per year for the senior roles. Indeed, has posted more than 40,000 job openings for Azure experts in the U.S.
- Ease to learn– Microsoft Azure enables structured learning methods and facilitate candidates with common tools such as GitHub, Hadoop which are easy to learn. Many online resources are available for Azure learners including ebooks, tutorials, and courses to grasp the theoretical & practical concepts. However, to ace the hand-on practice, one needs to enroll for an Azure certification course from a reputed training institute and get certified on Azure services.
- Enhance DevOps Skills– Once you ace Azure services, it will automatically improve your DevOps skills. DevOps is one of the latest technologies that combines IT operations and software development to deliver solutions at high velocity. By acquiring DevOps skills, you can deliver more cloud services like monitoring cloud environments, design & implementation strategies for application development, automation process, etc.
Career Options after Azure Certifications
Microsoft Azure offers a plethora of career advancement options such as security engineer, Azure administrator, AI engineer, architect, big data analyst, cloud developer, and data scientist. It opens a door to become a leading professional in the cloud market. The cloud computing market share of Azure is 18% which is second highest after AWS with 32%. You can have a better opportunity to land a highly paid and secured job with Azure certification.
Google Cloud Platform
Google Cloud is a public cloud platform that serves 20 geographical regions in North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Unlike, AWS and Azure, Google Cloud provides limited cloud services, but offers some specialized tools for developers.
- GCP offers storage, robust data analysis, networking, and high-level computing.
- It also provides different networking options such as cloud CDN, virtual private cloud, cloud DNS, etc.,
- Google Cloud Platform has strong capabilities in machine learning, big data analytics, and artificial intelligence.
- GCP render its services at reasonable prices than its competitors.
- It supports common coding languages like Java & C++.
- Google Cloud Platform allows its users to create a single-purpose function that eliminates the need for management.
- It quickly writes, debug, and deploy cloud-native applications.
- Google Cloud is a robust platform to build software and standardize CI/CD across all languages.
- It helps to automate deployments, create pipelines and get faster feedback.
Google App Engine streamline app development and enable developers to create applications without dealing with the server. It is a complete solution for developing command line & mobile applications in an agile manner.
Though GCP holds a unique position on the list of Big Three (IaaS) offerings, it is still considered as the third-best option behind AWS and Microsoft by the cloud watchers. Google Cloud fails to compete with the massive infrastructure of AWS & Azure, but makes up the lapses with smoother learning curve across all kind of deployments.
Oracle Cloud is relatively a new platform in the market and cannot be compared to the top three major players in Cloud Computing i.e, AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud. Despite not sustaining top positions in the global cloud service providers, Oracle Cloud has a lot to offer. It provides a broad spectrum of cloud services such as:
- Business Intelligence (BI) solutions, autonomous analytics, Big Data, data visualization, and much more.
- Cloud infrastructure maintenance & setup.
- App development including database, blockchain, Internet of Things, etc.
- Data integration and management.
- Security solutions focused on compliance & safety.
- Flexible and smooth customization along with quicker deployment.
- Immediate integration of financial data.
- Fits-well with all scale of organizations from startup to MNCs.
Oracle is dynamic and gives out of the box cloud solutions but they are minimal and insufficient.
Current Market Share of Cloud Players
Though all the four platforms of AWS, Google, Microsoft Azure and Oracle are major players in cloud computing, yet AWS is leading the race. It not only has more market share, but also provide rich career opportunities for the cloud aspirants. Also, Microsoft Azure is giving a head-to-head competition to AWS in the cloud market. So, if you want to build a career in cloud, then you must consider learning AWS or Azure.
The job market of cloud market is flooded with ample job openings like Full stack developer, Java developer, Cloud engineer, software engineer, .NET developer, Software architect, Data scientist, etc.
To up-scale your cloud skills & knowledge, we provide the best AWS training that can help in enriching your cloud computing skills. Our AWS Training includes basic to advance level concepts of AWS.
Let us help you achieve your career goals. Synergisticit – The Best Programmers in the Bay area…Period!