In recent years, there has been a sky-rocketing demand for web and mobile application development. It fueled the deliberations among the aspiring developers on choosing the right tech stack for building their career. If you also want to be a stack developer, but clueless where to start from, this blog will lead your way. In this blog, we have covered all the major technology stacks with their relative benefits, skill requirements, job market, & pay scale. It will help you choose your career path and decide whether to be a full stack developer, MERN Stack developer, or MEAN Stack developer.
What is the concept of Stack?
To commence your app development career, you need to have the fundamental knowledge of stack. Basically, a stack is defined as a combination of technologies, programming languages, or software products. It is mainly classified into two categories, i.e., technology stack and application stack.
- The technology stack is a set of tools used to build or run an application. It plays a vital role in web and mobile application development.
- An application stack is a group of software programs that helps in the completion of a certain task.
There are broadly 3 tech stacks which are leading the arena of software development, namely, Full stack, MERN stack, and MEAN stack. Let’s evaluate the career scope and reasons of learning each of these stacks.
What is Full Stack Development?
Earlier the developers used to gain expertise in a particular stream such as mobile app development, Database, Frontend, Backend, web app testing, etc. However, with the change in technology trends, the developers also accommodated to the dynamic demands. Today, a developer is expected to work on Frontend, Backend, Database, API, Server, and much more. It has accentuated the need for full stack developers.
The reason behind the growing popularity of full stack developers is their ability to work on both client-side & server-side software. A full stack developer wears multiple caps and help companies to save on operational, infrastructure and personnel costs.
Skills Required to be a Full Stack Developer
- Development Language– A full-stack developer needs to be well-versed in at least one server-side programming language such as Java, Python, PHP, .Net & Ruby.
- Server– The full stack developers are responsible to handle Nginx or Apache servers.
- Competent in basic designing– In addition to programming, full stack developers must have the knowledge of basic prototype & UI/UX designing.
- API– Being a full stack developer, you ought to be acquainted with Application Programming Interface or web services. Brushing up your SOAP and REST skills can be beneficial.
- Database– Any person that strives to be a full stack developer must be efficient in various DBMS technologies and should have hand-on experience in MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server and MongoDB.
- Java- It is indispensable for a full stack developer to have a good command over Java, as Java remains the most in-demand programming language in the tech sector. Though there are several other full stack developers with different technology stacks such as MEAN, LAMP, or MERN, but 60% of IT businesses prefers Java Full Stack. Thus, the demand for Full Stack Java Developers is quite high.
Career Scope for Full Stack Developers
There is a remarkable scope of job opportunities for full-stack developers. Once you gain the necessary skills, you can readily work across different verticals, ranging from startups to Fortune 500 tech organizations. Recently, Indeed.com reported that the job openings for full stack developers stands at the 2nd position as per their scores. Even the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics has estimated a rise in employment of full-stack developers from 135,000 to around 853,000 by the year 2024.
The role of a full-stack developer is an ideal pick for the tech aspirants who are planning to enter the IT industry and land a good job as there are ample number of jobs available for this position. Some of the largest companies in the world like Google, Amazon, Netflix, Wipro, TCS, Infosys, hire Full Stack Java Developers.
Pay Scale of Full Stack Developers
Companies explicitly hire full-stack developers, who can create robust applications from scratch, and participate in the agile development practices. The full-stack developers offer a perfect amalgamation of frontend and backend development skills which are required to create & manage applications.
It is the diverse nature of full stack position which impels companies to pay lucrative salaries. The average salary of a full-stack developer is about $113, 462 per year that varies based on the skills & experience. For instance, entry-level developers get a salary package of $58,000 per year, whereas experienced professionals are offered with high annual salary worth $188,253 per year.
The companies willingly pay such high salaries to full-stack developers as it enables them to hire one efficient resource instead of hiring 2-3 average developers. This reduces cost and saves time.
You can also secure a high-paying job in full-stack development with the right skills and a solid industry expertise.
What is MEAN Stack?
A MEAN stack developer is someone who is proficient in the technologies of MongoDB, Express.js, Angular.js, & Node.js. Similar to the full stack developer, a MEAN stack developer is responsible to build both frontend and backend systems.
The MEAN stack developers also need to perform unit testing, develop new features/modules, coordinate with the web application team on API integrations, and follow agile methods of development.
Decoding the key components of MEAN Stack
- M stand for MongoDB: It handles the database for backend applications to store data as JSON documents.
- E stand for Express.js: A back-end framework that runs on top of Node.js and used to build APIs for applications.
- A stand for Angular: It is a front-end web framework which runs JS code in the end user’s browser.
Skills you must acquire to become a MEAN Stack Developer
Below is the list of skills that a MEAN stack developer should have in order to get a job:
- Ability to develop, test and, deploy highly-responsive products;
- A profound understanding of the frontend and backend processes;
- Expertise in jQuery, PHP, Symfony, MySQL;
- Hands-on experience in managing Express.js, MongoDB, Angular.js, and Node.js.
- Cloud knowledge with the ability to deploy applications on AWS to debug hosting issues;
- Integrate and refine development environment software and tools as required;
- Maintain & design complex databases.
Annual Salary for MEAN Developers
The average salary for MEAN stack developers in the United States is $116,000. Their pay scale differs for Entry-level ($50,000), Middle level ($70,000), and Senior positions ($120,000).
What is MERN Stack Development?
Backed by a strong community, MERN is an open source technology stack. It is a modified version of MEAN stack and an acronym for MongoDB, Express.js, React.js, and Node.js. MERN is chiefly used to design top-end web applications.
The only factor that differentiates MERN stack from MEAN stack is that the former uses React while the latter uses angular to create front-end applications. MERN possesses pre-build testing tools that further ease developer’s work.
Four components of MERN Stack
- MongoDB: Document- oriented database which is flexible and easy to scale.
- Express.js: It makes easier for developers to write codes.
The average MERN Stack Developer salary in US is $100,000 per year, at the entry level positions the developers earn $40,000 per year while the experienced ones make up to $170,000 per year.
Learning any of these technology stacks can be beneficial for your web development career. When comparing from the financial attribute full stack leads the pack. If you want to build a steady tech career enroll into our IT upskill program.
Let us help you meet your career goals. Synergisticit – The Best Programmers in the Bay area…Period!